20 facts about me
1. I didn't know the television show 'Heartbeat' was set in the past until I was 19. I just thought Yorkshire was bit odd. Sorry, northerners!
3. To paraphrase Louis CK, I'm smart enough to understand the world's problems but not smart enough to have any solutions. I find myself rooting for the baddies in superhero films, hoping humans will be wiped out since we make such a total arse of everything.
4. I'm a university dropout. I went to Aberdeen University when I was 17 because that's just what you do. I was too young and ended up back home by my 18th birthday.
5. The Lord of the Rings films resulted in me falling in love with Sean Bean and becoming obsessed with a Napoleonic war drama called 'Sharpe' that he made in the 90s. He has his Sheffield accent and is angry/topless a lot. 10/10 would recommend.
6. I'm known for being a 'weepy willow'. I cried at the opening credits of the new Star Wars film. And then another three times during the actual film.
7. I'm a cynical atheist and happy about it.
8. I lived in London for a year. I was really poor and really miserable, because I was poor. And it was brilliant.
9. I don't use the word 'genius' lightly, but I think the comedy writer Graham Linehan is a genius. I've almost plucked up the courage to get a Bernard Black tattoo.
10. People who have no awareness of how news and politics works, but talk about it as if they do, really anger me! "I think it'll be a laugh if Trump gets in." Bitch, no.
11. When I was about 14, I was called 'Tesco two-stripe' at school because of the cheap trainers my mum had to buy me; single parent household and all that. I made her buy me a pair of Adidas shell toes and I still feel bad about it.
12. My best friend is called Lauren too and she's so brilliant that I sometimes struggle to make other friends because they just don't compare.
13. I have about 80% of my journalism NCTJ degree (postgrad) but I'll never finish it. I sat the reporting exam twice and the second time I failed by 2%. I can't put myself through it again.
14. House MD is my favourite TV show of all time and I'm glad Hugh Laurie received such acclaim for it because he's a lovely man.
15. I'm the Scottish stereotype - I love haggis and would drink alcohol all day, every day, if it was allowed!
16. My family nickname is 'Nonny', which is how 'Lauren' came out when my sister was trying to say my name as a baby! It stuck and I'm still being called that more than 20 years later.
17. Mulan is my favourite Disney film of all time, no question. 'I'll make a man out of you' is on my running playlist!
18. I was always a dog person, until circumstances dictated I live with two cats. I get it now.
19. I've read the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy more than any other books and come back to them every couple of years. I get something new out of them every time I read them.
20. Most people loathe Tinder but I love it. It gave me hilarious stories to tell at parties, and the love of my life.